Surface & Profile





Home page  >  About MÄGERLE  >  Company  >  History
  • Recognised performance in demanding conditions

    The worldwide reputation of Mägerle flat and profile grinding machines is long established. With their equally high removal capacity and machining precision, they are recognised on the market as top-class machines. They demonstrate their performance and versatility daily in demanding applications in the turbine industry, the automotive and aircraft industry, the hydraulics industry and the energy sector, as well as machine tools and toolmaking. All industries that make the highest demands in respect of mechanical, ergonomic and operational qualities.

  • 1929

    Foundation of Mägerle GmbH by brothers Karl and Max Mägerle. Metalware business.

  • 1932

    With the takeover of the Fritz Wunderli AG grinding machine business, Mägerle enters the field of grinding technology.

  • 1935

    The Gebr. Mägerle GmbH jig factory is founded. Its purpose is to manufacture and distribute jigs for machine tools

  • 1941

    Purchase and acquisition of Fritz Wunderli AG in Uster. Machines primarily still equipped with central drive, instead of the individual drive subsequently used.

  • 1944

    Mägerle sells the first flat grinding machines in the F7 series with hydraulic drive.

  • 1948

    Karl Mägerle underlines his social commitment and establishes the staff assistance foundation. This institution still exists today.

  • 1950

    In addition to grinding machines, Mägerle develops and manufactures diesel engines, printing presses, zip fastener machines, pill presses and machines for tube manufacture.

  • 1979

    Mägerle takes over tractor manufacturer Bührer in Hinwil and safeguards jobs. Production increasingly shifts from tractor manufacture to machine tools. Customer service and spare parts service for the Bührer tractors are preserved for years to come.

  • 1980

    The flat and profile grinding machines are equipped with hydrostatic guideway, grinding spindles mounted on hydrostatic bearings and overhead dressing device for the first time. Removal rates of one kilogram per hour are possible.

  • 1985

    Mägerle introduces the first CNC flat grinding machine in the MFP series to the market. The company visibly concentrates on the manufacture of grinding machines; the other products gradually disappear from the portfolio.

  • 1988

    Karl Mägerle sells his company to Schmid AG, which is owned by Adrian Gasser. The textile industrialist wishes to utilise synergies. The Mägerle name and brand are retained.

  • 1989

    With the acquisition of the Mandatec company in Biel an important supplier is integrated into the Gasser empire. One year later, planning begins for the construction of a new assembly building in Uster.

  • 1991

    The quality grinding machines from Switzerland enjoy an outstanding reputation worldwide. Mägerle continues to grow. The assembly building in Uster is subsequently expanded.

  • 1994

    Adrian Gasser sells Mägerle AG Maschinenfabrik to the German Körber Group from Hamburg. In the same year Körber also acquires the STUDER grinding machine factory in Thun.

  • 1996

    Lucky in the circumstances: A fire in the paint shop results in one injured employee and considerable damage to property. Greater misfortune is prevented with a good helping of luck and professional protective measures.

  • 2002

    Mägerle grinding machines are increasingly in demand. Expansion of the Uster premises is not possible. A new factory is built in Fehraltorf, which promptly wins an architectural award. The new premises are ready to move into in spring.

  • 2009

    Mägerle consistently keeps the brand promise of tailor-made grinding machines that are characterised by precision, reliability and cost effectiveness. This pays off in increasing success. The production buildings in Fehraltorf are expanded by an additional 2000 square metres.